[AusNOG] IPv6 - What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

David Hughes david at hughes.com.au
Wed Mar 6 14:04:52 EST 2013

On 06/03/2013, at 10:58 AM, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:

> The network is the easy bit.  If the members of this list had started
> low-key activities back in 2011 when APNIC's last-/8 policy commenced,
> they'd be done by now, the staff working on it would have received
> ample on-the-job training about how it works, and the additional cost
> they'd have incurred would have been pretty minimal.

Correct.  The network really isn't the hard part.  In a previous life I tried (pretty unsuccessfully I must admit) to get C-level management to understand the impact on internal systems.  Provisioning, monitoring, record keeping, etc etc.  Any system that currently holds a v4 address needs to be modified so it can hold both.

But, as with the network, if new system were built that way over the last 10 years or so then lots of this would have happened before it became urgent.

David