[AusNOG] IPv4 - Where is the training?

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Tue Mar 5 14:03:52 EST 2013

Mark

1.  Thank you for taking the time to detail all of this.  I suspect that
this sort of info needs dumping on lists like this one all the time.

2.  This is why I went looking for a training course just on IPv6.
Personally I find all the info you posted just over whelming and I don't
understand how to apply it to my kit (Mikrotik in my case with a healthy
balance of Linux, Windows and Android devices).

If I find it over whelming, then I wonder how many others are in the
same boat?

How do we trim all this down to subsets that I actually need to know
just to operate?

This needs to be in 20 pages, not the 200+ that you just linked.

I need pictures.  I use a GUI configuration tool, not CLI.

I need sample scripts that I can just load on my kit to just see the
bits fly by and then pull it apart to understand.

Let's get this back in to perspective here...

http://www.3news.co.nz/Staggering-security-lapse-at-WINZ/tabid/1607/articleID/272707/Default.aspx

This is where networking is right now.  People currently don't even know
how to set up layer 2 vlans though networks in a cost effective way to
protect public from corporate resources.

I guess what I'm saying is I need the quick start guides, the cheat
sheets, preconfig scripts, etc.  Where is all that?

--
Don Gould
31 Acheson Ave