[AusNOG] IPv4

James Spenceley james at iroute.org
Sun Mar 3 15:51:02 EST 2013

Hi Jared,

> Annnd we just went round in a circle… this was the reason for my original post, NEW businesses can now get a small allocation /22 for a small fee and then hold on to it to on sell at 600% profit. But existing growing APNIC members cannot, they need to buy it on the black market.

If the final / 8 policy (giving /22 max to only new members) wasn't enacted, then there would be absolutely no space at all today. Under the previous policy allocation rules and rate of allocation it would have all been used around 18 months ago.

While I agree with your concern, that less than ethical people can get space and simply sell it. The complaint that existing members should have access to the remaining space is somewhat moot, if we'd done that there wouldn't be any space left today at all. Under either scenario existing members wouldn't be getting IP address from APNIC today.

Does the good of years of new entrants getting some amount of space to be able to function outweigh the negative of a few people temporarily abusing the system. Yeah, I think it does. Are we watching to see how much of problem it is and if there are serial offenders, yes we are.

--
James

PS: A free market person would argue, that under any scenario existing members only option is to buy space on the secondary market (there is no new space for existing members, hasn't been for ~2 years) and the abuse of this policy actually has the benefit of creating supply in that secondary market, with the result that addresses are finding users who need them.

Not that this makes the abuse or profiting acceptable and as I said we are watching both those who close memberships from the final /8 and those existing members who have a non coincidental occurrence of receiving multiple transfers of space from the final /8. Remember you still need APNIC's approval to transfer space, that is a big bat if needed and there are even bigger bats if that needed.