[AusNOG] APNIC Slashes Costs for New Members

Jared Hirst jared.hirst at serversaustralia.com.au
Fri Mar 1 20:46:26 EST 2013

They have a policy for recovering un used address from what I was told
by them, they just don't have the resources to action it.

Don't have a stab at me, I'm speaking what most are probably thinking.

Yes I should go to the policy meetings and I will, and I will speak on
behalf of around 30 providers that have directly emailed me saying
they agree... However from what I was told there IS a policy to stop
this, but no one actions it.

If you don't think people use loop holes to get IP's for no reason
then you need to come and work for a hosting company for a day and see
the shit people say to get an IP, second opinions are approved for no
reason and IP's are handed out like they are not limited. No wonder we
have a world wide shortage.

The fact people can now get a /22 with minimal justification and cost
is my argument, it's now making it easy to source and hold on to for
selling and making a profit for later. I agree there are some people
that really do need them and I FULLY support them IF they have a REAL
justification. (In fact i have helped many customers of mine move off
my space to their own allocation) A justification of 'we have ssl's'
is not longer valid in my opinion, you can use SNI or something
similar to overcome the need for a IP for a SSL, however people still
seem to use this excuse to gain IP space, I see it everyday in
hosting.

Obviously in your world of ISP land it's a lot different. But MANY in
hosting are seeing this horrible trend.

I'm now going to enjoy my beer and Friday night and will look forward
to attending the next APNIC policy meeting armed with example
companies hoarding IP's that have knowingly ripped off the application
policy.

Remember I support the genuine people that need IP's please don't get
me wrong. I just don't support the people that are out to 'monetarily'
gain from space they don't need but can get from a small investment
now and a few lies on an application.

Regards,

Jared Hirst
Servers Australia Pty Ltd