[AusNOG] APNIC Slashes Costs for New Members

James Spenceley james at iroute.org
Fri Mar 1 18:35:24 EST 2013

On 01/03/2013, at 6:21 PM, Joel Nath <joel at zonenetworks.com.au> wrote:

> If its going to be this easy for new members how about taking care of existing members that "really" need more ip's
>
> That's the downfall I see in apnic's policy
>
> It's abit like screw existing members , we only care for new members that will end up wasting ip space but hey we will
> make $$$, Jared's classic example

The policy (from the open policy meetings) was to keep the very (absolutely) last IPv4 space to provide a little space to people who came late to the IP game.

Existing members have always had the ability to get space (as much as needed) from APNIC. In addition each existing member when the new policy was initiated was given the oppotunity to get a /22.

I don't think old members were disadvantaged. We are out out space, in which configuration we arrange the deck chairs isn't changing the fact we are out of addresses.

--
James