[AusNOG] Suggestions: Moving from Layer 3 to Layer 2

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 29 18:48:05 EST 2013

When we did this a while ago now, we took a guess on the low side and then started moving connections across (from L3 to L2). As we did this we kept an eye on bandwidth usage and when it looked like it was getting too low, increased it before the next batch of moves.

This may not be possible though, if you can't do the moves a few at a time or your provider isn't flexible enough to let you wind up the bandwidth as you need it. try and work with your wholesale provider and see if they're willing to help you out on this.

As others have said it doesn't really matter what the total data usage is, you need a big enough pipe to cover your peak bandwidth consumption (which will vary depending on your customer base). If you don't have enough to cover the peaks then you will have congestion and this may provide an adverse experience for your users. The alternative is that you don't worry about having enough bandwidth for peak periods and just have enough for "average" usage and let the users tough it out. Really depends on who you are and what you are trying to say to your user base.

regards,
Tony.