[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's presentation from Comms Day yesterday - NBN fibre on copper prices

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Thu Jul 18 12:10:24 EST 2013

I wouldn't be able to give you exact figures personally, I only just
learned a lot of this information myself. The over-arcing point however
was that because of this structure, NBNCo is now locked into a single
vendor, meaning there are no continuous competitive pricing between
major vendors. Mixed with the outlay for the product itself to be
developed, and the likely very specific support and future development
required from the single vendor, the cost of each unit separately into
each premises, then the battery backup systems on top of that, it
probably would be a large chunk of cost (at a semi-educated guess).