[AusNOG] Google Loon Balloon Broadband

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 12:19:17 EST 2013

According to the info available they have a parachute that deploys if the balloon fails. They also have GPS on board and I would hope some kind of beacon that broadcasts their location back to "Loon HQ" at fixed intervals (rather than relying on "in band" to track them). Hopefully if one bursts and starts and uncontrolled descent it will be known about and they can notify the relevant people to look out for it ?

They are supposely floating above most normal air traffic so the only threat would be on the way up & down which Google say they coordinate with local air traffic control, so the only problem is an AWOL Loon. Unfortunately there is no international agreement on air space and no real legal jurisdiction on who can do what up there. An example of this is that the US mostly coordinates air traffic control over the Pacific Ocean, just by mutual agreement not anything binding. It's mostly accepted that the air space above each country is able to be controlled by the country in question.

I can just image the call going out "We have a Loon down, I repeat A LOON IS DOWN !"

regards,
Tony.