[AusNOG] Mike Quigley has resigned

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 12 14:35:03 EST 2013

>________________________________
> From: Narelle <narellec at gmail.com>
>To: Christopher Lenton <clenton at gmail.com>
>Cc: "ausnog at lists.ausnog.net" <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>
>Sent: Friday, 12 July 2013 12:18 PM
>Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Mike Quigley has resigned
>

>*cough* multicast *cough*
>

>No comment.

I think the application of "NBN scale" multicast is -

- large scale, where unicast replication isn't practical or cost effective
- where "liveness" of the received data is critical to the application

I don't think many applications exist that have those requirements. People might see multicast as a replacement for broadcasted TV, but in reality, most people would prefer not to have to schedule their life around when the content is broadcast, hence VHS, PVRs and VOD. What events require liveness? "As it happens" news perhaps. Sports? Not so much, perhaps unless you're betting on the outcome. As long as you don't get told the score, does it matter whether you're watching the sports event "now" or 5 minutes, 10 minutes or even 30 minutes after it actually happened? Unicasting would give the audience a better experience because viewing the content fits into when they want to consume it. (Wouldn't life be great if we didn't have to make appointments to see the dentist, doctor, or the latest episode of XYZ TV show?)

There might be events where liveness is a legal requirement, and there is a large audience, but I think if they exist, they're rare (shareholder meetings perhaps?).