[AusNOG] Server/HD Question

Peter Brown rendhalver at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 13:37:20 EST 2013

Hi Skeeve,

I tend to prefer the Segate enterprise drives in servers when I can get
them but I am biased. Some people don't like Segate but I have never had a
problem with them so I stick with them.
Hard drives are worth spending extra money on. They very much fall into the
"you get what you pay for" category.
I also tend towards more cores for a virtualisation setup so there are
cores lying around for the hypervisor when it needs to do things.
Hardware raid is preferred as well. I never trusted software raid.

I have an old dell poweredge 2900 here with 2 quad core xeons, 24Gig of
ram, two raid arrays of 15k  hot swappable sas disks (one with 2 63Gig and
one with 6 450Gig drives) I use CentOS and kvm to run 7+ vms on it and it
trucks along nicely.
The 15k SAS disks make backups awesomely fast too.