[AusNOG] News: Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 12:21:25 EST 2013

There is a really interesting article today in the Australian Financial
 Review:

ACCC takes aim at internet slowdowns

PUBLISHED: 11 HOURS 40 MINUTES AGO | UPDATE: 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES AGO
JAMES HUTCHINSON

Telstra and other internet service providers could be investigated if they
slow down file-sharing programs like BitTorrent in favour of providing
their own video content to customers, the Australian Competition and
Consumer Commission says.

<snippage>

“Clearly there is a vertical integration issue where internet service
providers can control what comes down their pipe and obviously if,
unrelated to the reports about Telstra, we see that ISPs were using that
technology to influence their own content over other content then that
would be of concern to us,” he [Sims] said.

from
http://www.afr.com/p/technology/accc_takes_aim_at_internet_slowdowns_DNxYfamGg7IZdqO1IcZC1L

The article cites a Sandvine statistic that P2P file sharing app traffic is
of the order of 35% these days. From my memory, that is significantly less
than the proportion we have seen in the past.

Narelle Clark
President, Internet Society of Australia