[AusNOG] News: Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Craig Askings craig at askings.com.au
Thu Feb 7 15:35:04 EST 2013

CODEL uses one queue for all flows, not one queue per flow and it's FIFO. So that SIP or RTP packet could well have exceeded the maximum buffering time due to a few large packets that entered the queue before it.  Multiple CODEL queues wouldn't really change much as the scheduler would still have to round robin (Weighted or not) it's way to each queue and the drop assessment is made on dequeue.

If you want multiple queues, for example a LLQ/priority queue for VoIP and CODEL for best effort or put traffic into multiple CODEL queues you still need QoS of some for to classify the traffic.