[AusNOG] News: Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Feb 7 13:11:28 EST 2013

In message <1360200758.86247.YahooMailNeo at web164505.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>, Tony w
rites:

> >________________________________
> > From: Mark Smith <markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au>

Well you should have thought of that before upgrading the DSLAM.  Part of
upgrading a DSLAM is working out how to do the back haul.

> 1. Upgrade backhaul. Telstra more than likely has the fibre to do it, but upg
> rading to 10G would be a costly exercise I imagine. You have to replace cards
>  in all of your DSLAM if that is even possible with the model DSLAMs they hav
> e.
>
> 2. Shape/throttle/limit the traffic that is causing you to exceed the backhau
> l capacity
>

> If your backhaul isn't even GigE and is instead an OC3 (155Mbps) or OC12 (622
> Mbps) then they would be hitting the congestion sooner.
>

> >Perhaps one way to make the "P2P'ers" happy would be to use these DPI device
> s to mark this traffic as scavenger class, and then give it to them for free,
>  or some how making it much much cheaper e.g. 1/10th of the price of non-scav
> enger class traffic, filling up the "white space" in the network when capacit
> y is unused. ISPs would then be getting some form of value return on their no
> rmally unutilised link capacity.
>
> If they do it properly and only limit the speed on stuff that people can't co
> mplain about (ie. not quite legit things) then nobody will complain and Telst
> ra can put off upgrading backhaul. This comes back to the majority of users n
> ot noticing because their web browsing (youtube, facbook, itunes, etc) isn't
> impacted and might actually get faster.

Downloading the latest Linux ISO via bittorrent is just as legitimate
as downloading the lastest music video via itunes.  If I was paying
Telstra and my neigbour was getting preferential treatment for the
same nominal service for the same price I would be furious.