[AusNOG] 12V Gigabit Switch suggestions

James Symon jsymon at monashivf.com
Thu Feb 7 10:04:44 EST 2013

As Richard has said Mikrotik's are probable the way to go, I'm personally a BIG fan.
I wouldn't however recommend the switch models - I'd go the routers and use them as a switch as you will get a better feature set.
The other option is to go the 1100AH http://shop.duxtel.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=131 (13 ports)
If you have room to rack mount or 3x http://shop.duxtel.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=241
If you use the 700 series you can use standard dc plugs or get yourself a multi poe injector, if your using the 1100's they require a tad more power than standard poe, they do work from POE+ to 12v converter to 1100.
Note if you have the wireless on the 700's running at 12v in some rare cases they go 'haywire' and require a 18v power adaptor to 'reset' them.
If you go both DC plug and POE you get the bonus of 'dual power supplies' however the POE goes straight into the board and isn't as protected as the dc socket - but in saying that they are pretty forgiving and will run off anything from 12-~40v at 48v they start to smell and packets start doing strange things!
If you go the 700's you get the bonus of having usb for your 3-4G dongle as a back door/monitoring.

In any case give Mike from Duxtel a call as he has dealt with this in the past.
The 2 wireless providers in Tassy have some interesting microwave (Mikrotik) links in the middle of nowhere running of solar and a few SLA batteries.

James Symon