[AusNOG] News: Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Wed Feb 6 12:19:27 EST 2013

Julian,

To be correct, P2P is a concept, not a protocol.  Telstra rate-limiting
P2P, would likely means they are going after certain actual protocols such
as BitTorrent and others.

Skype has its own protocol, and I don't imagine Telstra intending on
messing with Microsoft (who now owns Skype) as they are a strategic partner
I believe.

Which brings the question.  Given some P2P is encrypted and is hard to
discern from other encrypted traffic, how are they going to tell what is
P2P and what isn't?

There is also some P2P running over IPv6 inside Teredo (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling) again making it very hard to
identify.

BTW... I think the references in that Wiki article are a bit old.  iBurst
has been gone for many years, and Unwired is gone too.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/networkceoau ; blog: www.network-ceo.net

We are the bridge between business and technology
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud