[AusNOG] Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer...

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Feb 5 18:52:54 EST 2013

Surprised not to see this posted yet....!

Reported in the Fairfax press this afternoon   -

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/telstra-to-clamp-down-on-peertopeer-20130205-2dvus.html

ISPs on non-Telstra wholesale services and own infrastructure may end up with a
boatload more heavy traffic users.

Better queue up the linux distro downloads to off-peak times :-)

  Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Date
    February 5, 2013 - 4:00PM

      Ben Grubb <http://www.smh.com.au/technology/by/Ben-Grubb>

        Deputy technology editor

Telstra is planning to slow the speed at which its customers download content through
peer-to-peer (P2P) networks <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer> in peak
periods as part of a trial.

P2P networks are commonly used to download pirated material such as movies, music and
video games.

Telstra confirmed the move in a statement after a source contacted Fairfax Media,
publisher of this article, to say the telco planned to introduce throttling as a
"trial" that was likely to become permanent and which required users to opt out if
they didn't want to take part in it.

The trial could begin as soon as this week, the source added.

The Telstra statement said it would be conducting a "limited trial of a range of
technical options for better managing broadband internet performance for our customers
during peak periods".

One option being looked at was the shaping of specific services, including some
peer-to-peer services, in certain circumstances and at certain times. The telco could
shape such services using deep packet inspection
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection> (DPI) technology, which can
identify the types of network traffic flowing through a network and prioritise it
accordingly.

"Once the trial is complete we will consider the results as part of our future network
planning and product development activities," the company said.

"The trial does not involve any monitoring or tracking of the sites customers visit
and the findings we gather, including their feedback, are being collected in
accordance with our privacy statement," Telstra said.

......article continues with more

P.