[AusNOG] Vocus peer with TPG

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 10 06:18:27 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----

I wish all ISPs in Australia would do the 'right' thing and peer with my network at home. I'd much rather not have to pay my ISP for all domestic and transit traffic.

> I believe its a commercial decision as to why they do not peer with
> anyone else other than via (their own) PIPE peering.

Peering is about mutual benefit. If one party doesn't receive enough benefits, or provides too many to the other party, it isn't peering.

Benefits can be in the eye of the beholder. TPG must consider they would be providing more value than they'd be getting from peering at all IXes, so they've chosen not to. That may or may not be a commercial decision (although ultimately it could be measured in financial terms).

If people think that is unfair, then they're probably the ones that would receive the greater benefit in the 'peering' relationship. It's ends up being a self-serving complaint.