[AusNOG] large data bills on telstra.extranet

Brad Gould bradley at internode.com.au
Fri Dec 6 14:47:39 EST 2013

On 6/12/2013 1:44 PM, Tom.Minchin at csiro.au wrote:
> 2b) if your unit isn't vulnerable but you are lucky enough to be allocated an IP address previously recorded as being vulnerable, you still could cop a lot of traffic from "hackers" still trying to access the previous device. There is no point trying to firewall your device as your traffic is metered and billed what is sent to your device, regardless of whether it is received.

With my service provider hat on, its rather an arbitrary decision on our
part to decide that traffic has been "delivered" or even if its wanted
or requested.

Then there is the hilarity of where is the metering point in the
network?  Usually there is some form of session controller - does the
circuit shaper come into affect (or even exist) before or after the
metering process inside the chassis?  Can you do anything about that?
Is it a big enough problem (across the business) to remedy?

For a 3/4G service, where the session throughput isnt defined by policy,
rather by cell/backhaul performance, the session controller might assign
a 100Mbps limit - or some random limit that means "dont let all the
30Gbps DDoS through into the edge network".  Its there for network
protection, not customer protection.  100Mbps sustained is going to slam
your 3G plan pretty quickly.

You are correct though, in that the internet often wants to say "hi" in
various ways, and that is a cost thats passed onto the customer.

Brad