[AusNOG] Assistance needed with Cisco NAT & Route-maps

Jacob Bisby ausnog at jdmnet.com.au
Sun Dec 1 14:32:11 EST 2013

Hi All

Thanks for the help so far - it's now at the point where I feel like
this needs to go on-list though.

The other's have so far helped me determine what the following line of
config is supposed to achieve:

ip nat inside source static tcp PRIVATEADDRESS PRIVATEPORT PUBLICADDRESS
PUBLICPORT route-map AAPT extendable

My initial question was what does the route-map statement achieve? I
have never seen it put at the end of a "port-forward" before.

In this case, that route-map matches against a specific WAN interface,
and an ACL that lists a whole bunch of private-subnets as sources to
"any". It was explained to me that it's likely to be some form of
destination based NAT but it has us a little stumped still. However the
route-map actually does not look like it was designed specifically for
this translation at all and is used in other contexts through-out the
configuration.

Normally I would drop the topic here, re-do the config my way and be
done with it. However, apparently Cisco TAC made this configuration and
I'm not too keen on assuming they've done something wrong.

My question is - at what point would a dedicated WAN interface see
(legitimate) inbound packets sourced from a private subnet? Can anyone
shed a little light on what this may possibly be trying to achieve? I am
limited in the configuration examples that I can give so apologies in
advance.

Thanks

- Jacob