[AusNOG] Where to find Routing "Stuff"

Trent Lloyd trentl at webinabox.net.au
Wed Aug 28 16:20:21 EST 2013

Hi Burt,

It's hard to be sure without some more precise details (as Tom requests, the IP range would be helpful), but here's some general troubleshooting info…

I am going to start by presuming the /23 subnet is an allocation from APNIC, if not, your issue might be a bit different to the below.

Secondly, the "UK" location on Speedtest, etc, will be coming from a Geolocation database.. these aren't always accurate, and even if they are, often only updated periodically.  So if you have a fresh allocation, it's possibly out of date.  Check the whois details at APNIC.. it may be either yours, or, the previous owners details had a UK listed address.  Harder to check the old owner (off hand anyway, there are some resources for this).. but check here to see the current listing:
http://www.apnic.net/apnic-info/whois_search

If you enter your network address with CIDR mask, and then select "All More Specific", you should see a result similar to this that you can check the address on.

110.173.224.0/21
inetnum:        110.173.224.0 - 110.173.227.255
netname:        WEBINABOX-AP
descr:          Web In A Box
descr:          PO Box 328, Leederville, WA, 6903
country:        AU

Lastly, for your routing issues with packet loss.. one possible explanation is that another provider is advertising your range.  To check for this, we can use a public BGP looking glass

There are many resources for this, I like route-views.org (though you need to telnet to a router, rather than use a Web UI), we can try test with the AARNet looking glass:
http://lg.aarnet.edu.au/cgi-bin/lg

Enter your network address (e.g. 110.173.224.0), then you can see a list of advertisements.. the main thing to check for is the origin AS number in each case.  Also double check the subnet mask matches (e.g. /23) and that it didn't find a larger or smaller advertisement.

Example: for our subnet, you can see

10084 45926
10084 45926
7606 10084 45926
10084 45926

In all cases here the origin AS is AS 45926 , which is us, which is good.  If you saw any AS paths ending in an AS that is not yours, it would bear further investigation.

Technically, these AS numbers aren't authenticated so that's not a complete test but it should give you a good place to start :-)

If you follow up with the IP range and AS number we could help you explore in more depth for you
Trent Lloyd

p +61 8 9481 0366 |  e trentl at webinabox.net.au |  w: http://www.webinabox.net.au