[AusNOG] GRE PPTP not working with Some routes.

Jason Firmino jason.firmino at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 19:09:47 EST 2013

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone in the list has experienced or knows about what is happening to me...

I have a proxy server with pptp for a while now and it's been working fine for 2 years now, the thing is last week I had a partner trying to VPN into the office from Germany but its failing with a GRE write failed error.

BUT... After a bunch of tests I managed to narrow down the problem and found that only the Singapore route traffic that goes trough Singtel has this error... Every other route is fine... Crazy right!?

I have a juniper srx with passtrough enabled and a Optus fibre connection. Again, everything is fine from every other provider/route. From that Singapore route it only works 1 in 10 attempts... Yes, sometimes it works... WEIRD!!!

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jason