[AusNOG] Re Question about ESXI and importing data from a HDD

Will Dowling will at autodeist.com
Wed Aug 14 11:19:16 EST 2013

> Got a linux HDD from an installation that is required again. As we now
> have esxi infrastructure how does one make an esxi image from a HDD
> I don’t know of any other then to power it up and use a convertor to
> import it, but before I go to that trouble is there any other way?

VMWare actually have a (now) free tool that can do this conversion for
you:
http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/features.html

It will import various disk image formats and push it across to your
ESXi instance, so you can use your tool of choice for creating the
image.
Not sure if its still included, but it used to have a bootable ISO to
do dump over the wire in the same manner also.

Hope this helps :)

Will Dowling

T: +61 (0407) 421 559
F: +61 (08) 6364 4881