[AusNOG] IPv6 Internode with Juniper SRX110H-VA

Lindsay Hill lindsay.k.hill at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 13:25:53 EST 2013

You can try the attached config. It's been parsed a little bit - hopefully there's nothing too stupid left in there.

This works with Snap in NZ, but you should be able to use it with other ISPs.

Key points:
* If you just add this config as-is, it won't pass commit check.  You need to do "set interface at-1/0/0 unit 0 family inet6 dhcpv6-client client-ia-type ia-na", and commit that. You can then delete that line from your config, commit it, and it will work. No idea why that works. Something buggy with the parser. My ISP doesn't answer IA_NA requests, so it won't work if the SRX is trying to do that. It seems the Juniper devs assume that your ISP will answer both IA_NA and IA_PD requests.
* Your system won't be able to reboot with this config. You need to go and re-add the "client-ia-type ia-na" line, and then remove it again.
* I can't get it to work with using a local DHCPv6 server. If I try using that option (by setting up local router-advertisements with "managed-configuration"), the SRX refuses to respond to DHCPv6 requests - it drops and logs them, but without any helpful error message. I'm working with support on this, but it's taking a while - while there is documentation for the individual commands, Juniper doesn't actually seem to have pulled all the config for DHCPv6 client + local server with prefix delegation into one place. There does not seem to be any validated config, and support is reading RFCs with me, to try and figure it out.

 - Lindsay