[AusNOG] Application Firewall Recommendations

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Fri Aug 9 13:53:13 EST 2013

One thing to watch for with pfsense in VM's
I have had 2 instances where for no particular reason it soaks buttloads
of host CPU in KVM.
Like 20mbit throughput = 120% CPU in a quad xeon 3ghz host.

Tried all sorts of different drivers and even added paravirt NIC's with
no joy,
Dell R210 II and T210 hosts in both cases so there may be something there.

Outside of that pfsense is the stuff, 2.1 is in RC stage now, and I hear
its IPv6 functionality is quite good.