[AusNOG] iiNet buys Adam

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 09:34:07 EST 2013

There's daylight between Telstra and iiNet in terms of market size and
ability to abuse market power (and Telstra have a fairly spotty record
here).  Not to mention the monopoly that Telstra do already have on fixed
copper (we're not talking about businesses that just offer Internet
connectivity any more) and the "operational separation" that they claim is
widely known and proven by repeated "slips" to be a sham.

Adam clearly wanted to be bought.  The ACCC shouldn't stop that - but they
do have the power to stop a purchase that would be considered too
detrimental to competition.  I think they did the right thing.