[AusNOG] Fwd: LulzSec Leader Arrested in Sydney - One of our

PRK ausnog at digitaljunkie.net
Sat Apr 27 22:04:02 EST 2013

I understand and agree with you, that when techs are talking to each
other to problem solve, they're not focussed on "what would a journalist
make of this email", and shouldn't necessarily be. This kind of
diagnosis and troubleshooting (where a theory is often proposed then
ruled out as part of the troubleshooting) should not be exposed to
journalists, IMO as it's too easy for a proposed theory to be restated
as fact, rather than a theory that was then proven false.

However I think it's a different case with PIRs and RFOs where they're
being written for deliberate distribution to customers, if not the
public in general - I think it's perfectly reasonable that a journalist
would quote them and use them in a relevant article.

After that, it just comes down to the knowledge and integrity of the
journalist as to how they're quoted and the surrounding context of the
article.

prk.