[AusNOG] For AusNOG amateur radio licensees

Craig Small csmall-ausnog at enc.com.au
Fri Apr 19 14:49:20 EST 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 06:09:23PM +1000, James Spenceley wrote:
>    I still remember the debates on using ROSE or TCP/IP for the ax.25 packet
>    gateways. Guess TCP/IP was the right choice huh :)
I remember those too. A lot of people learnt TCP/IP back in the day on
those networks (it's also how I started writing stuff for Linux, but
that's a different story).

You really get to understand how TCP/IP works when you get bored and see
it pass by at 1200 or, at best, 9600 baud.  I'm not 100% sure, but I
think the TCP RTT estimate is due to those networks; certainly Phil
Karn was (still is?) a ham running TCP/IP.

 - Craig VK2XLZ