[AusNOG] Telstra DNS contact

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Tue Apr 16 10:30:54 EST 2013

Not a new problem, to Telstra or the general internet. Comcast in the USA
is well known to have the same problem. And I've experienced it a few times
with Bigpond where the user has moved away their domain to something like
TPP, wondering why they aren't getting much mail, for us to discover a week
after the fact Telstra DNS was still pointing to their servers... facepalms.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:

> It's just a theory, and could be wrong, but in either case we have
> identified the issue to be exclusive to Telstra customers. I doubt their
> recursives are also their authoritives, but although some would disagree
> and can make some sense to look up your own authoritive servers before
> doing a full looking from out on the internet, but of course is a bad idea
> when issues like this occurs.
>

> On 16/04/13 9:30 AM, Andrew Jones wrote:
>
>> So Telstra's recursive DNS servers are also their authoritative DNS
>> servers (or they forward to them)? Awesome.
>>
>> On 16.04.2013 09:25, Joseph Goldman wrote:
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>>  To bring some form of network discussion back to the list, I'm after
>>> a contact within Telstra to discuss DNS issues. There is a domain that
>>> Telstra appear to be hosting a zone for even though the domain is no
>>> longer delegated to them. This causes people on a Telstra tail to get
>>> the wrong results for the domain during lookup (Everywhere outside of
>>> Telstra's network is fine, however).
>>>
>>>  I tried getting through their Level 1 barriers, but I just get
>>> confused operators and transferred between departments.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joe