[AusNOG] Ethnic Centric ISPs in Australia?

Heinz N ausnog at equisoft.com.au
Mon Apr 8 14:27:45 EST 2013

> One might assert limiting your demography isn't smart, but that, IMHO would
> be very wrong.  Personally, I think just competing in the open market is the
> dumbest anyone building a small ISP these days could do.

Is it even possible to start a smallish ISP these days? Reading John
Linton's blog (while he was alive) seemed to indicate that if you are
using someone else's infrastructure DSLAMs, backhaul etc, you are
completely at their $mercy$. All the bigger guys have their own DSLAMs
(for which they'd still have to pay rental at the exchanges). Maybe the
NBN might level that playing field if it continues.

I am curious if anyone has done the math to figure out how much cash you'd
need to set up a smallish "niche" ISP (major cities only) which would have
to be limited to renting ports etc from the big guys. I also wonder if
there are any niches left for something that is completely a commodity
item now.

Maybe one of the big guys would let you rebadge their service, but what is
to stop them from poaching your clients or hiking the cost later on? What
investors would like to take that chance?

Regards
Heinz N.