[AusNOG] Warrnambool Exchange Fire Investigation Report

Michael Risby MiRi at gscw.com.au
Tue Apr 2 11:23:20 EST 2013

Well if you use the Quakers Hill aged care facility as a model it's at the point where it will cost $5,000 per bed to retrofit a sufficient fire suppressant system (at an absolute minimum), multiplied by an average of 50 beds per aged care facility not including any booster pumps if required, maintenance and service contracts, list goes on. Think about the size of some exchanges.

Also being a telecommunication room, a VESDA system (or one alike) would be ideal. A dry pipe system also, not even sure if Halon still gets installed or is even allowed to be used.

Might be more beneficial to have someone go around to each exchange and defect the electrical installations. Incorrect cable size, segregation, conductor type, etc..

/2c