[AusNOG] News: Minister Conroy contemplating Government-Funded undersea cable?

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Fri Sep 28 17:12:14 EST 2012

Australia has money now?  How so?  The federal budget had a deficit to the tune of approx $44 billion last year  (the third worst in our history) and a $40 billion deficit the year before.  That's going to take some time to pay off when we eventually get back into surplus.

Only yesterday legislation was tabled that allows the ATO to keep any overpayment of GST if a business makes a mistake and pays too much on their BAS.  Tell me that doesn't sound like a government desperately trying to raise revenue without admitting to increased taxes  (well, other than the new tax we were never going to have).

Even with a change of government we'll still have an NBN.  The architecture will probably change.  The argument between FTTP and FTTN can go on forever and is largely religious IMHO.  FTTP requires more CapEx, FTTN requires more OpEx and is less flexible.  I'll stay out of that argument other than to say that both are better than what we have now.

David