[AusNOG] Why-do-internet-exchanges-need-layer-2?

Christopher Pollock chris at ionetworks.com.au
Thu Sep 27 23:23:35 EST 2012

PIPE peering doesn't look a whole lot different now than it did ten years
ago, and people still seem happy with how it works.  I wouldn't be
surprised if some of the same 7200s are doing the route-server-ing,
although perhaps someone still there can shed some light on the evolution
of the IX over the last few years.  At the time, the hardware to handle
routing all that traffic that would've come through the routers didn't
exist at a reasonable price.  The only technically and financially feasible
solution was Layer 2.  The other great thing about it was that it allowed
us to well and truly stay out of the layer-3 traffic path.  People would
complain that we were blocking traffic & ACL-ing things, but we were
nothing but a set of switches, which was our absolute confirmation that any
filtered packets were not our doing.  In addition to that, managing and
maintaining a more complex infrastructure would've required a lot more
eyeball time.

I think the real answer as to why the IX doesn't look like what you're
describing is simply that it would be a lot of work to transition to, for
not a lot of benefit.  It would provide better protection from things going
awry at Layer-2 (as IX-connected devices are wont to do), but I don't see
anyone going out of their way to complicate the infrastructure to achieve
it.  Anyone who's worked at any other peering points got any perspective on
this?

tl;dr Layer 2 was cheap and is easy.

--
Christopher Pollock,