[AusNOG] Maturity of the mid tier virtualization/cloud service providers in Au ?

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Wed Oct 31 19:53:33 EST 2012

Telstra, iiNet/Node, AAPT, Bulletproof are the only major players I know of
in Australia. There are a host of smaller ones that probably have a few
thousand VPS across their clouds, OrionVM for example.

Dealing with latency depends on the application obviously. For (plain-old)
ecommerce type sites obviously the backend needn't be in Australia so using
local resources for caching and balancing marginally improves latency. More
complex applications tend to benefit from on-shore hosting when there is a
lot of bi-directional data flow, for example an online accounting package.
But even then, with proper coding, latency to the US or even EU can be
negated.

Some of the largest utilisation companies that have seasonal needs have
turned to Akamai or Rackspace for CDN, and then often a mix of AWS/RS for
the less latency-sensitive things. iView comes to mind (if only we'd won
the contract for that over 7 years ago when it was just in planning phase),
as well as certain advertising-related companies.

There is definitely no-one of the breed of AWS/RS/Akamai/etc  in Australia,
mostly because as of yet there hasn't been a demand that would justify the
invest, but it will certainly start taking off the more the big4 loose
their edge bandwidth-wise.

Cheerio.