[AusNOG] Strange DNS issue

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Mon Oct 29 11:05:56 EST 2012

Hi Gary,

The short answer is 'Talk to your Registrar'. If they can't update the namservers IP's or glue it through their web portal, they definitely have an interface with AusRegistry to do it manually, so don't take any cr*p from them.

You can verify for yourself once its complete from the http://whois.ausregistry.com.au/whois/whois_local.jsp? Page.

Nameservers are one of the hardest things on the Internet to get a handle on, primarily because they are  one of the few things you HAVE to be shown how to do to do it properly, unlike most other things that you can learn yourself. If you're never told, you don't even know that you don't know.

(And for those of you who have had a beer with me in person and heard me talk about the fifteen 'secrets', this is one of them.)

This is also the only way to delegate a domain name to nameservers of its own subdomain.

We had huge problems years ago being able to maintain things through our registrar to the point where one of our sister companies had to become a registrar just so we could keep our own domains under control. ( Yes, it was a bit of overkill, but it was the only sure way we could maintain control as  the .au space was juvenile and in a state of flux at that time).

We did consider challenging AusRegistry at one point if it became necessary, but, the AusReg management and day to day team do such a fantastic job with the .au namespace that it really isn't necessary, you really can't get any better in my opinion.

Here's an article from one of the AusReg guys showing that he actually gives a bit of a damn:
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/it-pro/business-it/groundswell-must-continue-to-oppose-greater-internet-control-20121023-282q7.html

One thing there is a giant call for, and a giant resistance from AuDA and the .au aristocracy is domain privacy .au namespace. I personally think that domain 'monetisation' of .au which effectively allows anyone to put anything and sit on domain names, and trade the names themselves rather than trade on websites using the names was a bit of a wrong thing to do, but, it did generate a lot more revenue to keep the Administration of .au running smoothly.

I think part of the challenge with domain privacy on .au would be the increased amount of end customers that registrars and AuDA itself would have to put up with calling up to find out who owned a domain name, for whatever reason.

I think this is why AuDA are silently resisting allowing domain privacy on .au, but, it's a double edged sword, they are happy to keep the increased revenue from allowing domain hoarders to renew each year, but are failing to deliver the features to protect the legitimate end users of .au domains privacy.

.Au however has come a very long way.