[AusNOG] VDSL2, was Re: 4G advances

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Fri Oct 19 13:52:06 EST 2012

> No, but they might have said, "We're going to stop buying
> ADSL1/ADSL2/ADSL2+ DSLAM modules, and start buying ADSL1/ADSL2/ADSL2+/VDSL
> DSLAM modules for replacements and future deployments."

Buying a VDSL-ready module in advance of a possible Telstra deployment
has almost nothing to do with the cost of rolling out VDSL across
Australia. The modules are the easy bit and available at incremental
cost. This is nothing more than buying a lottery ticket in whatever
Telstra happens to decide at the time.

To compare apples with apples, you need to argue that the last-mile
deployment of VDSL was at the forefront of ISP investment plans in
2006/2007. And if those plans had continued over the subsequent six
years that much of the country would now have comprehensive, equitable
and competitive last-mile access.

The point being that most ISPs never were and never will be investing
in the last-mile which is 90% of what this NBN/VDSL discussion is all
about. So I'm at a lost to understand the claim that last-mile changes
caused by the NBN became a Damocles sword over ISP investments.

Now, some may have a beef about the POIs or port pricing or other such
matters, but from a strictly CAN perspective I need help understanding
how that has adversely affected most ISPs.

Mark.