[AusNOG] VDSL2, was Re: 4G advances

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Fri Oct 19 12:22:21 EST 2012

On 18/10/2012, at 6:13 PM, Glen Greig <glen at greig.net.au> wrote:

> Not true, Telstra has just rolled out over 1800 ISAMs (VDSL capable) in the form of Tophat.

The chassis are capable but:

1) VDSL2 uses a lot more power (and thus generates a lot more heat) than ADSL2+
2) VDSL2 lines cards are less dense (ports per card)
3) VDSL2 isn't ratified for use on the CAN
4) RIMs supply only a small %age of the population

So it's unlikely it's ever going to be doable even by Telstra.  It'd benefit a very small %age of the population unless you start rolling out stupidly large numbers of cabinets all just to eek a few more years out of the CAN.

The major problem with VDSL2 is that it's the end of the road for Cu.  It's as good as it's going to get.  Sure there are technologies to optimise a bit, there's pair bonding, but most residential in Australia is lucky to have one pair.

MMC