[AusNOG] VDSL2, was Re: 4G advances

Glen Greig glen at greig.net.au
Fri Oct 19 11:24:11 EST 2012

On the question about RIM optics, you have to keep in mind that a RIM is
POTS only, to get DSL, an AM35 was shoehorned into the cabinet and used the
RIM's multiplexer for backhaul. To upgrade the backhaul, it's not as simple
as changing optics you need a completely new backhaul. CMUXs have the same
issue, they have DSL capabilities, but the backhaul is just tacked on to
the side of the POTS capacity. It may all seem like poor planning in 2012,
but back when these decisions were made, we were talking 20% takeup and
256Kbps plans.

Bonding ADSL2+ may be a good small solution, but as a major rollout, you'll
run out of copper pairs fairly quickly as every DSL line starts to require
two or more pairs.

Glen