[AusNOG] 4G advances

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Tue Oct 16 22:07:58 EST 2012

A friend just pointed out something which I was going to ask anyway.

There are lots of people attached to congested RIM's which have fibre backhaul to the exchange, even though the exchange is good for ADSL2+ they can't get that speed or throughput because:
a) the RIM itself is congested, cards are full, etc
b) even if the RIM was handling things nicely, the backhaul is congested

Unless the RIM's and their rollout were poorly planned, wouldn't it be a fairly simple task of either:
a) replacing the optics on either end?, or
b) lighting up another wavelength?