[AusNOG] Sunday afternoon light reading - "Mitigating IPv6 Router Neighbor Cache DoS Using Stateless Neighbor Discovery"

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 7 12:11:40 EST 2012

Hi,

IPv6's neighbor cache (equivalent to IPv4's ARP cache) is vulnerable to a denial of service attack, as a consequence of the large size of IPv6's subnets (/64s).

I really like the operational convenience of large and fixed sized subnets (less prefix length errors, no renumbering or secondary subnets to support more hosts on the link etc.), so I'm suggesting the following method of mitigating the DoS for routers. I thought the Ausnog community might be interested to have a look.

Thanks,
Mark.