[AusNOG] News: Minister Conroy contemplating Government-Fundedundersea cable?

Terry Sweetser (SkyMesh CTO) terry+AusNOG at skymesh.net.au
Tue Oct 2 09:12:48 EST 2012

I'm enjoying this debate immensely.

And I don't think it is that off-topic.

IMO, I don't think funding the NBN is a major issue for this list, given
it's part "nation building" and part "social policy", funding is a
political issue before it is a NOG issue.

There are, however, NOG issues which also are very relevant to our hip
pockets.

Some things I have issue with:
[0] The NBN is expensive at the wholesale level.
[1] There are two many POIs.
[2] CVC charges are not good value for 80%+ of the network.
[3] The tail charges are too expensive at the 12M and 25M speed levels.

Overall, on [0], it's hard to argue against the social policy issues and
not get told "don't ignore the bush".  Sadly, 12M and 25M (soon) over
wireless and satellite do not really compare well with FTTP on all
technical fronts.  FTTP at the high end speeds represents good value for
2012, and very unlikely to be good value later in the decade.  Paying
$20 per Mbps (while free for the 1st 150M for now, not free later) looks
like fantastic value for wireless around Mackay or Satellite to central
Australia, for FTTP at an average range of 5km is ridiculously expensive.

There's a major "not level playing field" paradigm with the POIs. The
ACCC has truly shafted every low cap and small rsp in the NBN wholesale
market space.  The only telco with the lowest capex to reach every POI
is the incumbent.  The philosophy of having a new monopoly was to break
the incumbent's hold on the CAN: this has not happened yet, and it is
now evident that the NBN will facilitate market domination for many
years by the incumbent while the rest of the RSPs have to fund with real
capex getting to these many POIs. That's [1].

So on [2], in order to obtain "social equality" between FTTP, wireless
and satellite coverage, without addressing the severe technical
shortcomings of wireless and satellite in comparison to FTTP: the CVC
charge has to be "high".  I say "high" as the bandwidth is being fed to
the network very close to the population it services for 80% of the
planned network.  There's that other 20%, some FTTP, all wireless and
all satellite where that per Mbps cost to NBN far exceeds $20/Mbps.
Satellite bandwidth for data is extremely expensive compared to FTTP.
There are spectrum limitations on wireless which make it a dead-end
technology for the low density areas NBN plan to service with LTE.
Spectrum is not cheap, getting more to accommodate wireless growth on
NBN will be major capex.

Lastly, regarding [3]: compare the current practice of obtaining
exchange space, buying/laying back-haul and obtaining ULL/SSS from the
incumbent, *with* paying for NNI, CVC and AVC on NBN. Your fixed costs
are likely comparable to NBN levied fixed costs, in fact NBN will be
cheaper.  Now, "per client" costs on NBN have suddenly jumped from $xx
to $yy, and I'll speculate that $yy > 3*$xx.  If you're an owner of
back-haul to the exchange, you have a low opex "per client", but you
will not enjoy that low cost on NBN.  It seems to me that the RSPs
sitting in the middle 75% of the market right now are not looking at a
good deal for NBN, they're likely rather shocked and dismayed at the opex.

In summary, the current POI model makes NBN too expensive, RSPs are
paying for the bulk of the transit of data around the NBN on their own
networks, before they even get the to POI.

CVC bandwidth at $20/Mbps for FTTP would be a lot more value for money
and palatable if the coverage was a whole state, not just 1 CSA.

(If anyone wants a quote for publishing anything above, please contact
me first, I consider this to be private conversation amongst friends.)

http://about.me/terry.sweetser