[AusNOG] News: Minister Conroy contemplating Government-Fundedundersea cable?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Mon Oct 1 02:02:25 EST 2012

On 30/09/2012, at 5:34 AM, Damian Guppy <the.damo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think for the purposes of this discussion saying it is funded by debt means it is paid for by taxpayers money and there is no expected direct return on investment (ie no new revenue stream generated), and saying it is an investment means it is being paid for by issuing (additional) infrastructure bonds and will pay itself off over time (i believe the target is 6%?). You can say this isnt accurate or correct, but I believe it is all just semantics.

For those who are keen to understand what's actually going on, then I recommend the following:

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BN/2011-2012/NBNBudgetStatements

Specifically:

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BN/2011-2012/NBNBudgetStatements#_Toc314147504

Disclaimer: It's long and unless accounting gets your juices flowing, it may put you to sleep but it seems fairly complete, factual and accurate.

(Props to APH for releasing this explicitly under a Creative Commons license FTW)

MMC