[AusNOG] Anyone else notice the click frenzy traffic

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu Nov 22 10:20:09 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 11:01:54PM +1100, Jeremy Visser wrote:

 > On 21/11/2012 11:00, Chris Jones wrote:
 > > Because most CDNs use DNS-based GSLB  - via a CNAME record - and you
 > > can't have a CNAME for the Apex (root) of the domain.
 >
 > What would be the real-world implications of actually serving a CNAME at
 > the root?

If you have a CNAME assigned to a particular key, you can't
assign any other RRs to the same key.

So a CNAME record in the root of your domain means you can't have
SOA records (oops), MX records, NS records, etc.

I'm pretty sure you actually want all of those things.

 > I know that Microsoft's DNS server lets you do it,

That doesn't mean MS's DNS server -should- let you do it,
or that it'll deliver the result that you want if you try it. :-)

  - mark