[AusNOG] Q about time zones especially UTC

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Wed Nov 21 10:16:44 EST 2012

On 21/11/2012, at 10:07 AM, Mark Smith <markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Having had to deal with a number of timezone changes in recent years (and in SA, there is also the problem of the 1/2 hour increment timezone, sometimes not supported on equipment), I'm getting tempted to start advocating using UTC as the timezone as well.

Yep. Totally +1 for UTC. The biggest problem isn't conversion, thats just an annoyance. Daylight Savings date changes are the killer. Some systems support them easily, some systems require vendor patches which may not be available in time, etc.

Time Equality! UTC for all! Inconvenience everyone equally! ;)