[AusNOG] Announcing the AWS Asia Pacific (Sydney) Region

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Wed Nov 14 15:23:35 EST 2012

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012, ausnog (321) wrote:
> My question was meant to also understand why others on the list thought
> it was good value as I just don’t see it, ie why all the
> excitement?

Well it isn't good value for every usage case but it is for plenty of
others.

Here is a little page with some price comparisons for Aus cloud providers
(It was done before Amazon announced so their prices are a little low).

http://www.zdnet.com/au/australian-clouds-compared_p4-7000002315/

Notice especially the data transfer costs for many providers are north of
50 cents per Gigabyte while Amazon's max out at $US 19 cents/G

The thing to remember is that in the US their pricing tends to be higher
than buying cheap dedicated or virtual servers from other providers while
in most cases they are way under what Aus providers would charge.

There are also a lot of tools, libraries and the like that work with
Amazon's services.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.