[AusNOG] Domestic Peering WAS: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Luke Iggleden luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au
Sat Nov 10 09:55:22 EST 2012

On 9/11/12 3:46 PM, Joshua D'Alton wrote:
> If AAPT are offering deals down to the $15/Mbit level I'd think
> reliability is probably not a great concern, even if you were a business
> grade ISP. Without knowing their exact situation it would make sense
> that them charging more for transit probably wouldn't help reliability
> as much as people would think. With players like Exetel iiNet and TPG
> gathering transit from them, you can be fairly sure that 'transit' is
> still domestic for AAPT, more than likely just to another Go4. In other
> words, cheap.
>
> It is certainly needed to help reduce the number of situations where a
> provider will sign with someone like NTT for their transit, terminate it
> in Sydney, and let NTT do whatever they want with it after it leaves AU
> shores, since by that point it is going to be high-latency regardless.
> And for things like Office365 online, latency to SG really doesn't matter.

While I'm sure $15/Mbit is out there for some commit levels, it's far
from $1/Mbit that he.net offers for the first Gbit/s in the USA.

If we want to be serious about making our hosted services (and
datacentres!) competitive both domestically & internationally we need to
be seeing sub $2/Mbit for state level peering.