[AusNOG] Finally - Someone has turned the switch on withn the Federal Labor Gov.

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Nov 9 08:00:06 EST 2012

In message <CAJhve0xqRzuqdRuE96AquuepMxu4J5CiKzYx2V6fX82iOo5hbw at mail.gmail.com>
, Rhys McMurdo writes:

> Am I missing something, or has nothing really changed?

What's changed is that someone has realised that there doesn't need
to be a special law for offences committed over the internet.

It looks like Part 14 of Telecommunications Act 1997 already requires
carriers to help enforcing the criminal law.

311  Simplified outline

The following is a simplified outline of this Part:
•      The ACMA, carriers and carriage service providers must do
their best to prevent telecommunications networks and facilities
from being used to commit offences.

•      The ACMA, carriers and carriage service providers must give
the authorities such help as is reasonably necessary for the purposes
of:

	(a)     enforcing the criminal law and laws imposing pecuniary
	        penalties; and
	(b)     protecting the public revenue; and
	(c)     safeguarding national security.

•      A carriage service provider may suspend the supply of a
carriage service in an emergency if requested to do so by a senior
police officer.