[AusNOG] Vocus vs. Pipe - Was: Vocus peering traffic missing from PIPE-IX?

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu Nov 8 12:51:12 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 12:45:17PM +1100, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

 > Well, we can keep it all behind closed doors, or we can openly talk about
 > it and call people on their bullshit.
 > If everyone knows what is going on, then they can better make informed
 > opinions.

You use the information available to you to make decisions that
affect your business.

Other people use the information available to them to make decisions
that affect their businesses.

If your information and decisions are superior to theirs, you win.
If they're better at it than you, they win.

This isn't some kind of cooperative.  It's a competitive landscape
full of people who want to cut your throat, and who have historically
been too self-interested and short-sighted to create effective
industry-wide independent bodies to look after shared concerns.

  - mark