[AusNOG] Business Router

Gary Buckmaster gary.buckmaster at digitalpacific.com.au
Fri May 18 08:57:35 EST 2012

+1 on the pfSense suggestion

Disclosure: I worked with the pfSense project for several years and I
know those guys very well.

It's a FreeBSD based distribution and rolls a lot of really useful
functionality into a easy-to-use interface.  Keep in mind, however, that
its still software running on a general purpose CPU; the ability to
forward lots of packets becomes an issue as you scale upwards and the
resources you need to support some of the functions means you may need a
fairly powerful machine (or machines for a CARP cluster).

Its still worth a look, especially if you're comparing the SRX devices
and the pfSense commercial support guys are exceptionally good.

Best,

Gary