[AusNOG] 10gbit iSCSI SAN's which support active sync across multiply enclosures

jason andrade jason at pobox.com
Sun May 13 20:07:15 EST 2012

On Sun, 13 May 2012, James Braunegg wrote:

> Hey all sorry for the slightly off topic question, but I'm after some recommendations for a new 10gbit iSCSI SAN which supports which support active sync across multiply enclosures via fibre (So each enclosure can be stored in different physical locations)

Hi James,

You haven't specified the nature of the different physical locations:

o In different racks in the same DC ?
o In different DCs in the same building ?
o In different buildings ?
o In different locations > 10km apart ?
o In different states ?

> I'm looking only for a 2RU to 3RU unit with about 4tb to 10tb of RAID 10 SAS storage.

I've done some work with the Left Hand (aka P4000 from HP) and they are very nice
units with a whole bunch of features within the above storage footprint.

Dell's Equallogic PS series might also suit and is also very straightforward.

Out of the above two my opinion is the LH kit is more feature rich and the EQL is
easiest to get going - so it depends what you are trying to do.

> Any recommendations (specific models / make ) would be great ! (Happy for a storage rep to reach to me out off list)

I'm not a storage rep but i can point you towards some if you are
having trouble finding someone..

regards,

-jason