[AusNOG] What's Typical Power Density in Colo?

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Fri May 4 21:13:47 EST 2012

On 03/05/2012, at 8:13 PM, jason andrade wrote:

> Is it fair to say that expecting 10-15kW in a rack is _not_ something
> most DCs are interested in doing ?
<snip>
>   It's not uncommon for it to be perfectly
> acceptable to have N+1 aircon but that's not so common say for your
> primary DC switchboard.. where 2N is much nicer?..

I think that in an age of cloud computing, clustering technology aimed at commodity hardware, and cheap international networks - if your solution needs 2N power on a single 15kw rack cooled to 22 degrees with a five-nines SLA, you're doing it wrong.

If you're a datacentre providing this facility to someone willing to pay for it - you're doing it right :)

John